Friday, August 15, 2014

THE CIVILIAN SERIES: TUESDAY

The series generally starts to get a little sketchy at this point in the week. Yes, it’s only Tuesday, but beach brain sets in and the days … and the bottles… start to run together. So notes will be brief on this one – but don’t hold it against the wine!

Envinate Viña de Aldea “Lousas” 2012 (Ribera Sacra, Spain): From Alice's June selection. June was a fun month for the Feiring Line Wine Society and I brought in a few extra cases of two of the wines for the shop: the La Clarine Farm Rose 2013 and Bengoetxe Getariako Txakolina 2011, both of which I’ve been drinking as much as I can over the summer. But this one, the Envinate, we only got a few extra bottles which have been squirreled away until I had a chance to try one for myself, which I finally did on Tuesday evening. We paired it with a very nice, thinly sliced beef rib slathered in my friend Lori’s homemade New Rigel rib sauce. (New Rigel is a tiny town just outside my less tiny hometown of Tiffin. It's famous for it’s ribs, ribs, and ribs. And if you peaked at the menu - those prices are current and yes, decimals are all in the right places.)

Although the conversation was focused on the ribs, ribs, ribs, everyone liked the wine. The grape is Mencia and it’s grown on slate soil (Lousas is the local name for the slate soil in this part of Ribera Sacra.) It had more fruit than I was expecting – deep, dark, purple fruit, but it was balanced by an undercurrent of slate-y minerality.  And no.. that’s not just suggestive thinking – there was dark, grey earthiness that lurked beneath. I would be money that by day two, that earthiness would have broken through and become more overt. But I didn’t get to try it.. my mom turned it into sangria before I had a chance to stop her. (But it was very delicious sangria!)

Price: $28.99 

No comments: